I have a tendency to do a lot of baking in the fall and winter months. I enjoy trying new recipes and I often find that I also seem to put on some weight during this season. I am sure it has to do with a lack of exercise and not being outside enough. Today I was craving Apple Pie and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but I decided to find an alternative and something that would be considered a little more healthy.
I turned to Pinterest and found this amazing recipe over at From Ingrid, With Love. It is so good! It was a quick fix for that Apple Pie craving. Since I am trying to eat healthier this was a great alternative!
- 4 large apples
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet or pan with tinfoil, and set aside.
- Wash apples and cut off the tops.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh to make a bowl for the filling. Leave about 1/4 inch around the edge for the “rim” of the bowl, and be careful not to puncture the bottom of the apple.
- Discard cores and seeds, and finely chop the remaining “filling” of the apple (the part you scooped out).
- Mix oats, spices, apple pieces, vanilla, honey and coconut oil in a small bowl until well combined and the oats form a crumble.
- Fill apple “bowls” with a heaping 1⁄4 cup of crumble, and place on prepared baking sheet.